Lise’s practice focuses on white collar defense and government investigations. She has represented clients before multiple government agencies, including the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey, and the New York County District Attorney’s Office.
Lise has experience in complex cross-border matters that required her to obtain evidence via letters rogatory and prepare for depositions that were governed by foreign law. She has experience defending litigation brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission. She has conducted both fact and expert witness depositions in the United States and abroad. She has also prepared clients for testimony and otherwise assisted them by developing strategies to navigate the criminal justice system and other legal proceedings. Lise has also advised clients in matters involving professional ethics.
Lise maintains an active pro bono practice focused on representing clients in criminal matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Lise clerked at the federal trial level for the Honorable Denise Cote in New York, and then at the federal appellate level for the Honorable Gerard E. Lynch, also in New York.
Lise is currently on secondment to the Federal Defenders of New York.Show More +
- Member of the trial team that represented a former sales executive who was indicted by the United States Department of Justice in a multi-defendant case alleging price-fixing and bid-rigging. The matter resulted in the pretrial dismissal of the charge against the client.
- Conducted internal investigation for a multinational corporation in response to whistleblower allegations regarding corporate governance issues and potential breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Acted as pool counsel for numerous witnesses in connection with a government investigation involving both criminal and civil regulators.
- Represented former executive in complex litigation with the Securities and Exchange Commission in a matter involving over thirty depositions, many of which were taken abroad pursuant to letters rogatory.
- Represented individuals who received grand jury and civil subpoenas in a variety of industries.
- Prepared clients for interviews with company counsel in corporate internal investigations conducted by public companies.
- Prepared executives and auditors for government interviews involving both prosecutors and regulators.
- Provided professional ethics advice to attorneys in responding to subpoenas.
- Represented pro bono an individual in connection with a motion for compassionate release in federal court.
- Represented pro bono an individual in connection with a motion for a reduced sentence under the First Step Act and argued the motion in federal court.
“It’s Time to Revisit Mens Rea In Criminal Price-Fixing Cases,” Law360 (February 16, 2023)
“Chicken Cases Show Benefits Of Pretrial Hearsay Probes,” Law360 (January 31, 2023)
“COVID-19 Considerations for Recipients of a Federal Grand Jury Subpoena To Testify,” Practical Law (April 29, 2020)
- “Hall v. Florida and Ending the Death Penalty for Severely Mentally Ill Defendants,” 124 Yale L.J. F. 34 (2014).
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch®
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, Litigation – Securities
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star”
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, Securities Litigation
- Federal Bar Council
- New York City Bar Association