Matt represents individuals and entities in white collar criminal defense matters, other government and independent investigations, and civil litigation. His investigatory experience spans a wide range of legal issues, including tax, antitrust, foreign corrupt practices, foreign exchange, money laundering, cybercrime, insider trading, accounting, and securities fraud matters. Matt has significant experience representing foreign nationals and international companies in cross-border investigations, as well as handling matters with overlapping criminal, regulatory, and civil litigation risks. He regularly prepares clients for meetings and proffers with federal prosecutors and regulatory agencies and frequently appears before those offices to advocate on his clients’ behalf.
Prior to joining LSW, Matt was a member of Davis Polk & Wardwell’s litigation department, where he focused on white collar criminal defense and government and independent investigations. In this role, Matt represented multiple financial institutions in connection with the Department of Justice’s Swiss Bank Program, including the Category 1 Swiss bank that obtained the first non-prosecution agreement and the lowest financial penalty. In addition, Matt represented a large financial institution in connection with an investigation into its hiring practices in Asia Pacific, resulting in no charges to date. Matt also maintains a pro bono practice, including representing clients in criminal matters, civil litigation, and appeals in state and federal courts. Recently, he was part of a team that briefed and argued an appeal of an order of removal on behalf of a legal permanent resident before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.Show More +
- Represented a Swiss private bank in connection with its non-prosecution agreement with the Department of Justice, the first such resolution by a Category 1 Swiss bank.
- Represented a U.S.-based financial institution in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations relating to its hiring practices in Asia and relationship with certain sovereign wealth funds, both resulting in no charges to date.
- Represented a Japanese national in a criminal antitrust investigation relating to the sale of auto parts, resulting in no charges.
- Represented a large international financial institution in connection with an SEC investigation of its accounting practices.
- Represented an individual alleged to have participated in a significant theft of cryptocurrency.
- Represented individual witnesses in various anti-money laundering and Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctions investigations.
- Represented the former independent directors of a large U.S. commodities brokerage in connection with securities and other litigation and enforcement-related matters following the company’s bankruptcy, resulting in dismissal or favorable settlement of all claims.
- Represented an individual charged with a Hobbs Act conspiracy in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, resulting in below-guidelines sentence.
- Handled numerous appeals, including, most recently, one on behalf of a legal permanent resident appealing an order of removal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.