Doug represents organizations and individuals in internal investigations, white collar and regulatory proceedings and civil litigation. He is a seasoned advisor and problem solver, having recently been the general counsel of a large international telecommunications company, as well as the general counsel for a major international law firm and the Deputy Commissioner for Legal Matters at the NYPD. Doug is known for his calm, practical and effective approach to the most difficult problems.
Doug has represented companies, investment funds and individuals in securities, accounting, FCPA, environmental, labor racketeering, bribery and other matters. He has conducted dozens of internal investigations, including many cross-border matters, involving allegations of accounting and securities fraud, FCPA violations, Title IX claims and broader harassment and workplace environment issues.
Doug has extensive experience in representing law firms and lawyers in various legal and ethical matters. As a partner and General Counsel at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, he was responsible for managing legal, regulatory and other areas of risk, including information governance and cybersecurity, global regulatory compliance, business and ethical conflicts, claims and potential claims. He served two terms on the Disciplinary Committee for the First Department in New York, where he reviewed for the Appellate Division proposed findings of facts and sanctions in disciplinary cases brought against lawyers.
Doug also has extensive experience defending clients in defamation matters. He has tried libel cases for Time magazine and Sports Illustrated magazine. He has obtained summary judgment and otherwise successfully represented book and magazine publishers, television and other media outlets in a variety of defamation and related actions and claims.
Earlier in his career, Doug was a federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York, where he investigated, tried and handled the appeals of a broad range of criminal cases, including RICO violations, bank fraud, money laundering and drug trafficking. He led a group of federal and state law enforcement agents in a series of prosecutions of major Russian Organized Crime figures involved in murder, extortion, drug trafficking and other crimes in the United States, Europe and Asia, which required coordination with various overseas law enforcement agencies.
At the NYPD, Doug managed a command of 250 uniform and civilian lawyers and staff. He provided legal guidance to Police Commissioners Ray Kelly and Bill Bratton and members of the executive staff on all matters affecting the NYPD, including criminal investigations and policy, intelligence and terrorist investigations, civil litigation, legislative affairs and press relations. He was responsible for close coordination on significant matters with the Mayor’s Office, federal and state prosecutors, the NYC Law Department and other agencies.Show More +
- Represented an investment advisor in an insider trading investigation.
- Represented a state agency in connection with a series of public corruption investigations and prosecutions.
- Conducted a series of investigations for the audit committee of a multinational public company based in Europe into investigations of insider trading, accounting fraud, whistleblower retaliation and other misconduct.
- Represented a company in connection with multiple labor racketeering and regulatory investigations.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a public company into alleged FCPA violations.
- Represented an educational institution in connection with a number of Title IX and related matters.
- Represented a special committee of a public company in connection with an internal investigation of alleged misconduct by the founder as well as other corporate culture issues.
- Advised a university board of trustees in connection with high profile public accusations of serious misconduct by employees.
- Conducted an internal investigation of misconduct by lawyers at a major law firm.
- Obtained summary judgment for a book publisher in a libel action based on a book about a celebrity.
- Obtained summary judgment for an investment fund that published negative reports about a public company
- Thurgood Marshall Award
- New York City Bar Association
- Departmental Disciplinary Committee of the Appellate Division, First Department, New York State Supreme Court (2004 – 2012)
- Served two three-year terms as a member of the committee that reviewed proposed findings of fact and sanctions in ethical cases brought against lawyers.
- Judiciary Committee, New York City Bar Association (2018 – 2021)
- Member of the committee that evaluates candidates for state and federal judicial office and other offices connected with the administration of justice in state and federal courts in New York City.
- New York State Justice Task Force (2013 – 2014)
- NYPD representative on state-wide committee created to address causes of wrongful convictions.
- Ronald McDonald House of the Greater Hudson Valley (2018 – 2021)
- Member of Board of Directors